Its key objectives are to exclude illegal timber products from the EU market, to promote and facilitate the trade in legal timber, and to foster the sustainable use and management of forests. In order to achieve these objectives, the Action Plan includes a number of measures:
- negotiation of Voluntary Partnership Agreements with timber-producing countries, under which FLEGT licenses for import to the EU will be issued to legally verified timber and timber products;
- implementation of the EU Timber Regulation, which entered into force in 2013;
- promotion of public procurement policies in consumer countries to support the trade in legal timber products;
- support to private sector initiatives to improve supply chain management and verify legal timber;
- encouragement of efforts in the financial sector to ensure that investments do not lead to illegal logging.