Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea

Papua New Guinea’s forests cover more than 70% of the total land area, and half of these are primary forests. 97% of the country’s forests are owned by local and indigenous communities, while the remaining 3% are state-owned (FAO, 2015).

Illegal logging is a serious problem in the country. While it has one of the best legal frameworks governing forests of any developing country, these laws have not been effectively implemented and enforced. There remain deep-rooted problems of corruption and poor forest governance. Although almost all harvesting in Papua New Guinea has some form of license and exports are all verified against payment of taxes, available information suggests that the majority of the country’s timber production is nevertheless illegal in some way (Chatham House, 2014).