A UK backed deal to protect the world’s second largest rainforest is struggling, just over a year since it was signed and amid rising concerns over deforestation, corruption and political instability...
Forest Defenders Conference: Highlighting risks, developing strategies and support for activists on the front lines
The Forest Defenders Conference in June will bring together leading environmentalists, activists and investigators who are defending forests worldwide to hear their experiences and the challenges they face, aiming to identify barriers that prevent at-risk environmental defenders from accessing support, and to discuss and share strategies to support their work and security.
The main meeting will be on 21st June, at St Hugh's College, with a plenary and dinner the evening before. On 22nd June, Tactical Technology Collective will run a digital security workshop for defenders and supporters / interested attendees. There will also be training and first aid kits for those engaged in remote or high-risk work, offered by Blue Mountain Group – specialists in hostile environment and first aid training.
Talks and presentations from front line forest defenders and international analysts will include:
- John Knox, UN Special Rapporteur for Human Rights and the Environment – an overview of the current crisis in violence against environmental defenders
- Ouch Leng, Goldman Prize Winner for Asia 2016 – working as an undercover investigator to fight the plunder of Cambodia's forests
- Justino Sá, forest activist and Principal Legal Advisor to the National Assembly of Guinea-Bissau – the West African rosewood logging crisis: millions of dollars of blood wood.
- Richard Rogers, Global Diligence – the first environmental case at the International Criminal Court, using the law to fight impunity
- John Vidal, The Guardian – Development at what cost? How ongoing exploitation of the environment is driving conflict
If you are not able to join us on the day we will be live-streaming the event on the Not One More facebook page, so please feel free to join us there: https://www.facebook.com/N1Mnot1more
We would like to gather the opinions of as wide a range of people as possible on these issues related to the security of forest activists and defenders. If you would be kind enough to complete the 5 questions we have in our Questionnaire or share with interested parties we will be compiling and sharing results during the day: Forest Defenders Questionnaire
If you are a frontline activists or defenders, or you work alongside people in this position, and you would like to tell us about your work, we can arrange to record a video and we shall share it with our wider audience, please get in touch as below.
If you would like the conference report and outcomes let us know at [email protected]